For your reading consideration: Thoughtful and a Bit of Business History – MAKING THE WORLD BETTER -the ideas that shaped a company & a century
I was surprised to see so many IBM retired and former employees reviewing and quoted in this book, but on reflection that makes sense. IBM for the past 100 years now has played a major role in the evolution of both US and global business history.
The book at times is a bit too anecdotal for the person who may not be a techie or who may not care about the details of some of the IBM story but overall it hits the mark.
In the three major sections, they cover:
1. The science – this is the pioneering segment of how to move from the incredible basics to the foundations of meaningful technology for the every day person.
2. Thomas Watson Sr had adopted the slogan “THINK” in 1911 and section 2 addresses the evolution of creating economic value from knowledge. IBM did not do everything “right” but they did help to create the concept of the modern corporation.
3.Making the World Better completes the circle and shares global stories of balancing business, values, ethics and profitability while dealing with governments and greed.
Regardless of how one feels about certain kinds of computers or high tech, this is worth the read.
As always, feedback is appreciated.
John J Hogan, CHA CMHS CHE CHO
John@Hoganhospitality.com Office 480-436-0283 Cell 602-799-5375
Hotelier, Speaker, Educator, Author, Expert Witness
- Principal, HoganHospitality.com Expert Witness Services, Workshops, Consulting
- Co-Founder & CLO, HospitalityEducators.com, Resources in Customer Services, Training, Marketing and Sales, Profitability
- Visit johnjhogan.com for Coaching and Development