Resolving Problems between the Boss and Yourself
Use the following checklist to assist you when dealing with problems.
When a potential or real problem arises:
- Acknowledge that there is a problem. Most problems with a boss are resolved by accommodation
- Identify possible solutions in dealing with the problem.
- Contact boss about the problem and set up discussion time.
During the meeting:
- Inform boss of the problem. Use disarming tactic to reveal the problem: “Boss, I need your help in dealing with a situation.”
- Acknowledge the boss’s position of authority in dealing with the problem.
- State the problem objectively.
- Be mindful of a threatening response. Example: “Are you suggesting that I might be the problem?”
- Ask your boss for possible recommendations and solution options in dealing with the problem.
- Thank the boss for his or her time, courtesy, and assistance with the matter.
After the meeting:
- Follow up. Tell the boss how the solution is working.
TIPS TO PONDER:
- Do not take the problem personally.
- Empathize by putting yourself in your boss’s shoes.
- Be an active listener to his or her responses.
- Be open-minded.
- Don’t attempt to change the subject.
- Don’t interrupt; you will get a chance to speak.
- Maintain personal integrity.
Dr. Marc Clark, CHA, CHRE, CHE, CHO
President & CEO at SmartBizzOnLine.com
|Conflict with your boss is always uncomfortable. These tips offer tangible ways to address this situation.|