HospitalityEducators.com Founding Associate Dr. Marc Clark Shares Interviewing Tips in SMART MANAGEMENT
Dr. Marc Clark, CHA, CHRE, CHE, CHO
Pre-Screening Phone Interview Questionnaire
The benefit of conducting a pre-screening phone interview is to save both the interviewer time and the company money. Such questionnaires help identify and qualify employment candidates in order to move them to the next lever of the recruiting process.
Questions should address goals, personal skills, talent, team issues and interest.
- Be inquisitive.
- Ask pointed questions in order to generate specific responses.
- Hone for facts.
- Look for weak links in information provided.
- Do not assume anything.
Listen 80 percent—Talk 20 percent!
- Provide me some facts pertaining to your current work situation:
- How do your talents, skills, and knowledge fit into our current workplace needs?
- Describe the biggest contribution you have made to your workplace. Why do you feel that way?
- Tell me about a team task you participated in that failed. Where did things go wrong? How did you rectify the situation?
- Explain your concept of exceeding customer expectations.
- What is most significant individual accomplishment (award or recognition) you have achieved up to this point in your career?
- Describe your strongest internal emotion and what it would bring to our workplace.
Think & Use Your Time Wisely
Quick Fact Finding Checklist
Collect the following information on each accomplishment for validation.
- Discuss accomplishment and specific clarifying example.
- Measure of success—When? Why? Impact? Statistics?
- Collect names of supervisors, direct reports, peers, dates of employment.
- Seek information on business, standards of performance, and quality of leadership.
If candidate is applying for a management or supervisory position ask:
- “What were the greatest challenges involved in dealing with your assignments?”
- “Describe the techniques you used to energize, bond and to build pride in your staff or team.”
- “Why were you chosen for additional leadership responsibilities?”
- “How did you personally drive the business forward and contribute to the business’ bottom line?”
- “What have you done in the last year in order to grow personally? Professionally?”
- “How did you grow or change as a result of this effort?”
Note this information from every candidate:
- Applicant’s Name & Contact Number (Print)
- E-mail Address
- Position Applying For:
Dr. Marc Clark, CHA, CHRE, CHE, CHO,
President & CEO at SmartBizzOnLine.com
Using this kind of tool can allow a focused interviewer to listen for inconsistencies or missing information in the resume or CV. The goal is to find the best match for both candidates and your hospitality business, so be certain to actively listen to the responses and follow up with the most promising candidates.
Success does not come by accident or chance.
Contact us for assistance.
John.Hogan@HospitalityEducators.com or 602-799-5375
HospitalityEducators.com was created to help hospitality businesses address problems via a training and information resource site to help you increase your Hotel’s revenue, market share and profitability. With more than 800 pages of tips, guides, best practices, strategies, plans, budgets, videos and resources, HospitalityEducators.com is the #1 independent website for hotel owners and managers. This site can help you solve your problems now! Read More
|KEYS TO SUCCESS is the umbrella title for my 2011 programs, hospitality services and columns. This year’s writings focus on a variety of topics for hotel owners, managers and professionals including both my “HOW TO” articles, HOSPITALITY CONVERSATIONS™, Lessons from the Field™, Hotel Common Sense™ , THE P-A-R PRINCIPLE™ and Principles for Success.|
Feel free to share an idea for a column at email@example.com anytime or contact me regarding consulting, customized workshops, speaking engagements … And remember – we all need a regular dose of common sense,
John Hogan is a successful hospitality executive, educator, author and consultant and is a frequent keynote speaker and seminar leader at many hospitality industry events. He is Co-Founder of www.HospitalityEducators.com , which delivers focused and affordable counsel in solving specific challenges facing hospitality today.
www.HospitalityEducators.com is a membership site offering a wide range of information, forms, best practices and ideas designed to help individual hoteliers and hospitality businesses improve their market penetration, deliver service excellence and increase their profitability.
Your Hospitality Resource for the Hotel Owner, Innkeeper, Manager and Hospitality Industry Associations.