Our monthly sharing of a smile.
Our industry is challenging and this blog regularly covers a range of hospitality topics: brands, budgets, service, operations, learning, marketing, profitability, planning and more. Reader feedback here and from my columns are often positive and it is reassuring that we offer and provide practical and affordable counsel in our consulting, workshops, writing and our membership service @ HospitalityEducators.com .
It is also good to appreciate the value of a smile and we offer at least one each month with a special “holiday”. Some of them can be part of a marketing promotion in a club or restaurant, while others are just enjoyable to read!
Left Hander’s Day
When: Always on August 13th
If you are a Leftie, Then Left Handers Day is just for you!
Left Handers, also commonly referred to as Southpaws, are the brunt of more than their share of jokes all year long. It isn’t always easy being a leftie, but for those of us who are, would have it no other way. Lefties are proud of it.
The world is built for right handers. Examples are everywhere. For example:
- In school, have you ever seen a left handed desk? They don’t exist.
- Many left handed items cost more.
- Novelty coffee mugs are made with the picture or text for a right handed pick-up.
- Scissors for for right handers. Only a lefty would understand this.
- The computer mouse you are using as you read this is designed for right handers.
Did you Know? Right handed people operate in the left side of the brain. Left handed people use the right side. Therefore, only left handed people are in their right mind.
Left-Hander’s certainly earned the right to have a day dedicated to them. And, August 13th is that day. So take a minute to appreciate your left handed friends and loved ones. You might even send them a Left Handed Day E-card to show your respect.
Remember today and every day: “Lefties have rights!”
As left-handers, we never do anything “right”
Left Handed Facts and Trivia:
- Sinistrophobia is the fear of left-handedness or things on the left side.
- While many people are left handed, very few are 100% left handed. For example, many Left handers golf and bat right handed. On the other hand, there is a high percentage of righties who are 100% right-handed.
- Lefties are also called “southpaws”. The term was coined in baseball to describe a left handed pitcher.
- Tuesdays are Lefties luck day.
- Only about 10% of the population is left handed.
- During the 1600’s people, thought left handers were witches and warlocks.
- International Left Hander’s Day was first celebrated on August 13, 1976. It was started by Lefthander’s International.
- They say everyone was born right handed, and only the greatest overcome it.
- It is believed that all polar bears are left handed. Also see Polar Bear Day.
- There is a rumor that octopuses have but one right hand. Scientists are diligently studying this issue.
Think about it: Everyone is a Left Hander in Left Hand, West Virginia.
Lefthander’s Slogan: “Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it”. (Brilliant Author unknown) source: http://holidayinsights.com/other/lefthand.htm
Success does not come by accident or chance.
Contact us for assistance.
- HospitalityEducators.com was created to help hospitality businesses address problems via a training and information resource site to help you increase your Hotel’s revenue, market share and profitability. With more than 800 pages of tips, guides, best practices, strategies, plans, budgets, videos and resources, HospitalityEducators.com is the number 1 website for independent hotel owners and managers. This site can help you solve your problems now! Read More
Special Anniversary Pricing For a Limited Time
Use The Reader Feedback Special to qualify for an annual cost of less than 35 cents (US) per day to regular membership
|KEYS TO SUCCESS is the umbrella title for my 2011 programs, hospitality services and columns. This year’s writings focus on a variety of topics for hotel owners, managers and professionals including both my “HOW TO” articles, HOSPITALITY CONVERSATIONS™, Lessons from the Field™, Hotel Common Sense™ , THE P-A-R PRINCIPLE™ and Principles for Success.|
Feel free to share an idea for a column at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime or contact me regarding consulting, customized workshops, speaking engagements … And remember – we all need a regular dose of common sense,
John Hogan is a successful hospitality executive, educator, author and consultant and is a frequent keynote speaker and seminar leader at many hospitality industry events. He is Co-Founder of www.HospitalityEducators.com, which delivers focused and affordable counsel in solving specific challenges facing hospitality today.Consulting Expertise and Research Interest
- Professional Development for the Organization and the Individual
- Customer Service
- Making Cultural Diversity Real
- Developing Academic Hospitality programs
- Medical Lodging Consulting
- Sales Management and training
- Turn-around and revenue management
If you need assistance in any of these areas or simply an independent review or opinion on a hospitality challenge, contact me directly for a prompt response and very personalized attention.www.HospitalityEducators.com is a membership site offering a wide range of information, forms, best practices and ideas designed to help individual hoteliers and hospitality businesses improve their market penetration, deliver service excellence and increase their profitability.
Your Hospitality Resource for the Hotel Owner, Innkeeper, Manager and Hospitality Industry Associations.